One of the most basic, staple vegetable side dish or even main course Punjabi dish is Aloo Gobhi or Potato and cauliflower. I will share my recipe today which will feed 2-4 people as main or side dish respectively.
- 1 large potato peeled and diced into approximately 2 cm cubes.
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets.
- 1 medium onion finely diced.
- 3 cloves garlic and 1/2 inch ginger finely chopped.
- 1 tablespoon ghee.
- Dry spices (1 level teaspoon of Garam masala, turmeric, salt and cumin seeds and 1/2 of chilli powder).
- Heat ghee in thick based pan on medium heat,
- Add the onions, ginger and garlic until they just start to colour (5 mins),
- Add dry spices and cook for 4 mins,
- Add potato and stir until they pick up colour and cook for 4 mins with lid on,
- Add cauliflower, stir and cook for 5 min with lid on,
- Add a splash of water,mix, cook (slow heat) for 5 mins with lid on, turn off heat and leave for 5 mins.
- Serve with chapatti or rice